RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > RFID Implantation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Implanted active RFID to come?....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Implanted active RFID to come?....
    Posted: 17 October 2011 at 6:10am
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 10:42am
I've seen all kinds of bio-power devices, including a tiny generator that can be spliced in-line with an artery to produce power from blood flowing through it. The bottom line is that all these devices, even the glucose/oxygen biofuel cell mentioned in the article, are an order of magnitude more difficult and dangerous to implant than a simple passive RFID tag. If one of these devices is going into your body, you can bet it's to do more than let you in your front door or log you on to your computer. They will likely be limited to life-saving medical implants (like pacemakers).

Also, as a general rule, the more complex a device is, the more likely it is to break down. A passive tag has no battery and no interaction with the body... it just sits there. That means it can stay operational for 100 years or more, while a chemical device (like the biocell or a catalytic converter in your car) or mechanical device (like a generator) will likely break down and need replacing (just like battery powered devices) eventually. The difference in the working lifespan between a battery powered device and a power cell/generator may be several years... maybe even a decade or more, but eventually it will have to come out and be replaced.

Still, in terms of medical implants, there is a definite need for something like this. I really hope they can get it working reliably, and with minimal danger to the implantee. Odd though to think it will be acting like a parasite... pulling energy and oxygen from your own blood. Patients with poor lung function or diabetes probably could not use such a device.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Greenbeast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 11:46pm
Indeed, it was a light hearted reference if anything.

I thought it was pretty cool and this is one forum where it might be appreciated.

Yes i had similar thoughts, it will be draining energy reserves in a way the user won't realize, unlike normal aerobic activity, however other subsystems of our biology already do that. Afterall we don't think, 'hmm best stop breathing as much as i'm running low on glucose' or 'i wish my heart would stop draining my energy reserves'
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 11:49pm
The post is totally appreciated, thanks for sharing. For normal healthy people it would probably be a non-issue. I wonder though what might happen if one of those cells were ever damaged and the enzymes and nano tubes that make up the device were to leak into the body. Might not be that big of a deal, but still interesting if they had to upgrade to an animal the size of a cow to get any serious power out of the thing.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic