RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Parts and info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Really Thin 125KHz Tag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really Thin 125KHz Tag
    Posted: 27 January 2012 at 4:34am
Hi,

I have got a lot from this book, however, there is a project i am working on which requires a tag/label that i can embed in ordinary playing cards.

As you can imagine the main criteria is that it is really thin, it needs to consistently thin and not have any lumps so it will be completely invisible in the card.

I have worked out that i can split the card, place a label inside and glue it back together but every RFID label I have found so far is just not thin enough...

I have read that Toshiba have created the thinnest ever but where is it? I cannot find a place to buy anything suitable. I am guessing that 0.1mm maybe ok, thinner would be better. 125 KHZ is preferred but if I have to go down a different path then so be it.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Steve
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 11:58am
You might have to look at UHF tags. They are the only tag types I've noticed with ICs small enough that they might go unnoticed. They are thinner than most LF or HF tag ICs, but still aren't 0.1mm thin. The small size though might make for a less noticeable bump in the card.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
steve248 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 5:39am
Thanks for the reply.

From what I know about UHF tags they are going to be diffcult to use. It is important that the readable distance is quite short, if I am right UHF tags can be read over several feet which I am afraid will make them unsuitable.

I wonder if anyone knows what the existing, thinnest 125 Khz tag is available? I am wondering if I can make it work anyway.

Many thanks...
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 10:25am
Range is affected not only by frequency, but also by size of tag antenna, and the power output, sensitivity, and size of reader antenna. To reduce the range, you could reduce the power of the reading antenna (many commercial UHF readers support this) and/or introduce interference to reduce the range of the UHF tag... for instance, you could adhere a thin layer of foil to one side of the tag, or a pattern of foil to suit your requirements.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
RFIDTagstore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFIDTagstore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:25pm
I wouldn't recommend using foil to reduce read range of a UHF signal, Just stick with LF or HF, which ever you're preferred frequency is. Adding foil will cause interference, but the main problem will be erratic in behavior, because the signal can never be regulated because of the intermittent interference. 
The RFID Tag Blog is a technical blog focused on RFID tags and NFC labels.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic