RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Reader Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ok Neebie in need of help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macifikation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ok Neebie in need of help!!!
    Posted: 22 March 2012 at 10:29am
Ok let me start of by saying that RFID is new to me. Ok so here is my project. i have custom built a computer in my car, the setup consists of......
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 motherboard
Corsair 8GB XMS3 DDR3 ram
Intel Core i3 2120 processor
OCZ Vertex Plus 64gb SSD DoubleSight 
DS-90UT touchscreen monitor
picoPSU-160-XT power supply
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
All in a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5

ok now that being said this is what i want to do....
using RFID implant i would like to be able to..
Arm and disarm alarm
open hatch
Start and stop car

but i do not know where to begin
I was looking at the 3x13 chip and the red bee
but again i don't know.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Edited by macifikation - 22 March 2012 at 10:31am
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 12:18pm
Well now, that sounds like quite the project. Luckily the RFID portion shouldn't be too difficult, except maybe the OS X login part - I'm a PC guy and have no idea how that might work. 

The easiest way to work with the alarm is to hack an alarm remote/keyfob and attach it to an RFID reader using a reed relay. Using a 7343 flip-flop IC, you can then make each read toggle lock/unlock button presses, i.e. 1st read "presses" the unlock button, 2nd read "presses" the lock button, 3rd read "presses" the unlock button, etc.

For the open-hatch functionality, if your hatch is controlled by the same remote/keyfob, you can wire in another reader at the back of the car and run wires to the same hacked keyfob used for the alarm. That's the way my VW GTI works. No flip-flop IC needed here, just tie the reader directly into the keyfob via reed relay.

To start and stop the car, that requires some additional research. Most cars have anti-theft devices built in that make "hotwiring" the car much more difficult. Most of the time this means there is actually an RFID tag (usually a TI 134KHz tag) built into the plastic housing of the car key that interacts with an RFID reader antenna ring built into the keyslot. If you have a copy of the car key, but this copy does not have the RFID tag built in, you can turn the key but the car will not start. If your car has this type of anti-theft protection, you will have to remove it or otherwise figure out a way to circumvent it. If your car does not have one of these types of anti-theft devices, then adding RFID to your vehicle's key system should be fairly straight forward.

When talking about implants, I would get the system working with the glass tag first, before implanting it. If everything works at decent ranges with the tag out of the body, then look at getting one implanted.

Now, for reader hardware. The best reader hardware I've found that works with both automotive applications and glass tags is one sold on eBay by a couple different sellers. It is no longer made anymore, but there are stockpiles of 10,000+ of this unit available so there's no worry about running out any time soon. The reader has a cylindrical antenna that works well with the cylindrical glass tags, and is also separate from the main unit which helps with difficult antenna placement requirements. It is typically sold with a master tag (used for programming) and two keyfob tags, and looks like this; http://amal.net/caps/2012-03-22_12-17-04.png

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
macifikation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macifikation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 7:49pm
ok so far i have takin care of the RFID chip in the key and the remote start/security combo is a Viper 5902 HD. This may sound stupid but what is the 7343 flip-flop IC? Where would i get this from? Ok basically i want a NO key solution for everything. I am sick of my keys lol!
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 9:46am
Cool man, a flip-flop is an IC that basically lets you convert a pulse type signal into a toggle type signal. 

Here are two place you can find flip-flops;

Basically what it does it goes between the RFID reader and the lock and unlock buttons of your keyfob/remote. The flip-flop IC listens for a signal to come in on it's input pin, then it picks only one of two output pins to "turn on". It then remembers which pin it last "turned on", so the next signal to come in through the the input pin will trigger the flip-flop to "turn on" the other output pin, flip-flopping between the two pins. In practical use, it would work like this; you pass a valid RFID tag over the reader, and the reader "turns on" a 12v signal. That signal goes into the flip-flop IC and OUT1 turns on. Well OUT1 is connected to a reed relay that acts like a button press for the LOCK button on your remote. The next time you pass a valid tag over the reader, the signal is sent out, and the flip-flop then "turns on" the OUT2 pin, which powers a different reed relay that acts like a button press for the UNLOCK button on your remote... etc.

Make sense?

The specifics of connecting the reader to flip-flop to keyfob requires some electrical components like reed relays and possibly switching transistors and/or resistors. The 12v signal coming from the RFID reader will likely be too high a voltage for the flip flop... but maybe not. There are many different kinds of flip-flop ICs out there. Also, you can't feed the signal coming out of the flip-flop directly into the keyfob... you need to use that signal to close a relay. When the relay closes, it acts just like the button on the keyfob, which closes the circuit when you press it down.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic