RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > RFID Implantation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Few Beginner Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaylerms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Few Beginner Questions
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:40pm
I've been lurking on this forum for over a year, trying to figure out if RFID implantation is something I'd be interested in. Finially, I've figured out, it is.

From a practical standpoint, my last two jobs required RFID badges to get in and out of "sensitive" areas. Obviously, an RFID implant would alleviate a number of issues when it comes to key fobs and badges. I tend to forget my badge at home, leaving me to depend on my co-workers for assistance. It's hard to save face when you must gingerly ask someone to open a door for you due to your forgetfulness. LOL

Anyway, I have a question or two before I take the big leap...

It sounds pretty noobish, but I can't seem to find much information on RFID implants themselves. Specifically, whether or not cloning an RFID tag is a one time deal. Can you overwrite a previously clone-written implant, or is it a one shot? Are there implants that are infinitely re-writeable? I imagine the answer is "yes", as having to cut out an implant for a different signal seems pretty impractical.

The other question I have is; Can you switch RFID signals on the fly with a device of some kind, or are we limited to software on our computers? I may have a second job soon, of which requires yet another RFID badge for access. I'd like to be able to pull out a device that enables me to switch between signals as I go from one job to the other. Is this a possibility, even just in the near future, or will I have to endure a second implant?

I'm really excited about this. I've never really been all that interested in a tattoo, I've only had an ear piercing (which I allowed to close up), but an RFID implant is actually useful and (maybe) much cooler than the former or the latter! Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by jaylerms - 11 May 2012 at 4:43pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Hi Jay,

In short, you will not be happy with an implant. You cannot do the things you want to do with it. There are a few posts on this forum from people with the same goal. If you need an extended explanation, search around for those posts.

"Obviously, an RFID implant would alleviate a number of issues when it comes to key fobs and badges." - this is not correct.

"Can you overwrite a previously clone-written implant" - this is not accurate for LF/HF passive tags. tags come with a pre-written ID that CANNOT BE CHANGED. some may also have writable memory blocks in addition to their ID, but that's separate.

"Can you switch RFID signals on the fly with a device of some kind" - no. some tags have memory blocks that can be updated/re-written using a reader/writer device, but you cannot change "signals" (frequency, protocol, air interface, unique ID, etc.)

Sorry for the brevity, but this has been covered a few times and I'm getting lazy :)

Amal

Edited by amal - 11 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
jaylerms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaylerms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:36pm
No, thank you, Amal! I really appreciate it.

In terms of the practicality of an implant, I really just mean it's harder to lose than a key fob or badge. That would be the main draw for me but, as you said, an RFID implant being more or less non re-writeable definitely changes things for me.

I wonder if, in the near future, an option for a truly re-writeable implant will be available to the general consumer. If not, it looks like I might be stuck with my easily misplaced badge. :\

Thanks again for the info, Amal!
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:20pm
Glad to help.

The issue with an implant being re-writable is that would mean that regular tags would need to be re-writable as well. Some tags are completely re-writable, like Gen2 UHF tags... however these tags are never used for the applications you want an implant for (ID, security, etc.) for obvious reasons. The premise on it's face is flawed because it would mean the ID/security system would not be reliable or secure. That's why you will never see an implant that can be programmed to emulate another systems' tags.

An implant is most useful to a person who can build their own systems. In some cases, an existing access control system you might encounter at work or school could use a tag type that also can be found in a glass capsule configuration that might be implantable - Not all glass tags are implantable. Some use glass that contains lead and other heavy metals. Research should always be done before implanting something in your body... it's your job to research the safety of these objects, no one else's.

As I was saying, the likelihood of encountering these kind of systems is very low. Either the system uses proprietary technology (like HID and Honeywell systems do) and the tag is not available in a glass capsule form factor, the system uses HF 13.56MHz technology which is not as compatible with implantation as LF 125KHz tags are, or the system does use an LF technology that can be found in a safe implantable glass form factor, but you would then need to convince the system operator to add your implant to the system rather than issue you a card... so the likelihood of you being able to use your implant with a work or school access control system pretty much falls to zero.

With all that said, there is one possibility that exists where cloning could work, that that is in the event you get yourself a Philips HITAG 2048 tag and encounter an access control system that uses EM4102 tags. In that case, and that case only, you could program your HITAG to emulate an EM4102 tag, and change that emulated ID on demand... but I don't recommend bothering. Almost no commercial access control systems use EM4102s and to program the HITAG you would need a special reader/writer and software that can be several times more expensive than a simple reader that works with a basic EM4012 implant.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic