RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > RedBee Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toggling the autopulse pins?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toggling the autopulse pins?
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 3:11pm
I have the intention of buying a redbee at some point, sooner than later if this feature is included or can be added. I have been doing some looking around at the redbee documentation, and it doesnt seem that you can have the autopulse pins toggle on indefinitely with a good read, only for a timed period. I would love to use one of these in a vehicle ignition project. If it doesnt do toggling though, any reader that does momentary pulsing would work, and in that case, an 8 dollar ebay black box may be more favorable.

Does it do toggling? If not, could this feature be added in a future firmware/software revision?
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 10:14pm
Hey wolfdog1987,

Unfortunately I don't have the firmware source for the RedBee, and I know that it's packed to the brim with features. I worked with RoboticsConnection during development to squeeze every last byte of memory out of the PIC that's on there. I literally think there is about 14 bits of unused memory space left on the PIC with the current 1.1 firmware version.

I've found that using a 7473 flip-flop IC is a very easy way to get that toggle effect, and use it in a couple projects of mine. Search this forum for mention of it (I use Google as the built-in search kinda sucks). The flipflop works by toggling two outputs for every pulse received on the input pin. A 1 second pulse goes in, output A is high for 1 second. A few seconds later (or a week later), a 5 second pulse goes in, output B is high for 5 seconds. The only requirement is that the flipflop remain powered up. If power is lost, the toggle state is lost and you will have no way to know which output will go high when your first input pulse is received.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 10:24pm
oh... re-reading your post, I see you are talking about state locking, not toggling. A state lock means the output pin stays high until power is removed from the device. I normally do this with a self-feeding relay system, and a pretty intense discussion got started about it on this thread. Unfortunately, some of the images have gone 404, including some I posted (I hate that... now I upload everything to the forum rather than host images off-site)... but the main idea is that you trigger a DPDT relay that in turn feeds itself, keeping it locked in the "on" or latched state. The only way for this relay to unlatch is to break the feed loop or cut power entirely. I use this type of setup for my motorcycle.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
wolfdog1987 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 12:20am
Actually I was curious about both so you answered both questions lol, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic