RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > RedBee Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows Login?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows Login?
    Posted: 30 July 2012 at 1:27pm
I have setup a windows 7 login according the instructions included with the robot connection kit.

However, when I try to login, it tells me incorrect password, I have tried removing the symbols from my password, but it gives the same result.

Is there a log file somewhere?

Usernames with no password work fine.

Any idea?

Edited by UnMonk - 30 July 2012 at 2:02pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:04pm
There is no log file, but let's go over a few things.

1) are you logging into a local account or is your machine on a domain and you're logging into a domain account?

2) does your password contain any pipe symbols

3) have you tried changing your password to something simple, like 12345678

4) what text editor are you using to edit the rfidcredentials.txt file? 

5) is there more than one line (username and password) in the file? if so, is each line terminated with a CRLF or just a CR or just an LF character?

6) the last line in the file should not be terminated with any CRLF characters
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
UnMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by amal amal wrote:

There is no log file, but let's go over a few things.

1) are you logging into a local account or is your machine on a domain and you're logging into a domain account?

2) does your password contain any pipe symbols

3) have you tried changing your password to something simple, like 12345678

4) what text editor are you using to edit the rfidcredentials.txt file? 

5) is there more than one line (username and password) in the file? if so, is each line terminated with a CRLF or just a CR or just an LF character?

6) the last line in the file should not be terminated with any CRLF characters

1. Local
2. No
3. Yes
4. notepad
5. no, and I am unsure what CRLF is? I am bit of a newb.
6. I can check on that once I see what a CRLF is
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:27pm
Hmm, well if you are using notepad then you're in good shape. When you are editing the file, put the cursor at the end of the line, just after your password, and press the DEL key on the keyboard repeatedly (not the backspace key, the delete key). This will remove all characters after your password and you should not be able to use the arrow keys to move the cursor down a line as you would if a CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) character were at the end of it. 

When you press ENTER in notepad, it adds a CR character and a LF character. Carriage Return comes from old typewriters and means return the carriage (in computers its the cursor) back to the start (far left). This would move your cursor to the start of the line you are currently on. The Line Feed character also comes from old typewriters and it moves the cursor down one line. So, when you press ENTER in a typical word processor application, you will see the cursor move down one line and to the far left.

When applications like the RFID Login application is processing a text file, CR and LF characters matter because it's the only way for the application to know if/when a line is finished. If the line your account credentials are in ends with your password, then a space character, then CRLF, then that space character is considered to be part of your password.

If the line is the only line in the file, and you end it with a CRLF, then the RFID Login application will try looking for another line, only there is no next line... the file just ends. This in itself isn't a problem, the software can handle it without an error. Some applications REQUIRE there to be a CRLF at the end of every line, even if it's the last line... so there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to application configuration files and CRLFs at the ends of lines. 

What does often happen is that an application will expect to find a CRLF at the end of a line, but in an effort to conserve storage space, a Linux or Mac based (or some windows based editors) will only use an LF character when you press ENTER, and nothing else. This can cause problems with applications and certain text editors that strictly follow the CRLF formatting rules. That's why sometimes when you open a text file with notepad that has been created with one of these text editors, you'll see no line breaks, just an odd box-like character in the places where new lines should start. Open that same text file with Wordpad instead, and Wordpad will correctly interpret the LF chars at the ends of lines and show you properly formatted text.

Hope that helps :)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
UnMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:33pm
Interesting bit of information, learn something new everyday.

Unfortunately it did not make a difference, 

37 0 0 129 111|Scott|password

This is all that is included in the file. Am I missing something else maybe?

If it makes a difference, When the password fails and the RFID picture is displaying my login name, entering the password manually does not work either.

I have to go to my actual account and not the RFID with my account name.

Edited by UnMonk - 30 July 2012 at 2:35pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:37pm
Hmm, it's been a long time since I've looked at the source code. Try going to the end of the line and pressing ENTER and saving the file. 

Also, are you sure your username is Scott? Sometimes the name of an account is different than the actual system username. To confirm, click the start button, then type CMD and press enter. You should get a black box with a prompt in it. Type SET and press enter and you'll get a whole list of environment variables, one of which should be listed toward the bottom and should say USERNAME=Scott or whatever your account name actually is. Once you confirm this, you can type EXIT and press enter to close the command prompt box (or just click the X corner).

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
UnMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 3:44pm
You got it.

The account name and displayed name were different.
All is fixed now, thank you for the help. Ill update you on my implant when it goes in.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:32pm
Glad I could help!
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
UnMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 5:49pm
Any possibility of a win8 version on the horizon?

Or should I get off my lazy ass and do it myself :P
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:55pm
hah I don't even have Win8 yet, so... 

did you try the current cred provider with win8? results?

also, there are some interesting things that are on the horizon with regard to the Redbee Kit and the source code I put together for the cred provider. More details will be posted on my blog once available.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic