RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Book Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CH4 - GINA Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 11:06am
On the phidgets forum, they said its a library issue.

http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=vie wtopic&t=650

My opinion of them as an OEM parts source has dropped significantly. Since writing the book, they've changed the physical size of their hardware without notice to customers (a huge no-no in OEM parts manufacture)... they've changed a fundimental way their RFID devices operate, leaving older libraries registering a constant flood of pointless 0000000000 tag events... again without notice to customers (another major no-no)... and now they apparently have no checks in place to ensure compatibility between even slight library version changes, which cause major issues for compiled applications (third strike).

Come on guys, get your act together!

Edited by amal - 03 March 2006 at 11:12am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 11:26am
Ok, I just confirmed the issue. I downloaded the latest release library from the website and compiled RFIDTest.exe. I then ran it on another box that has the same slightly older library version I had installed on the dev box and I get the same exact issue.

For now, I will post the older Phidgets library file here:

http://www.rfidtoys.net/downloads/old/phidgets.msi

To install the old library, go to add/remove programs and remove your current library. Then reboot (even though it doesn't ask you to). Install the older library. Reboot (yes, again). Then your GINA login project should work.

I'm working with Nathan Yocom to recompile the GINA project with the current Phidgets library. Once that's done, I will post the new GINA project files, along with the Phidgets library they were compiled with... just in case this happens again.

Edited by amal - 03 March 2006 at 11:34am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Milhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 3:56pm
Thanks, it works with the old library  But you are right, stuff like that shouldn't happen!
pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 5:13pm
Hi everyone.

Indeed, the project works fine with the old library.
Somehow minor differences from older libraries seem to be rendering recent projects unstable or unfunctional at all.

So, after uninstalling my library and installing the one Amal posted above, the Gina project (and other projects from the book that use the Phidgets reader) are working like a charm now.

However, I had to recompile them in my machine before I could use them. Simply running the compiled .exe's would run the softwares and detect my reader, but would not return tag reads at all. Besides, all programs I had would crash at shutdown until I recompiled all of them (including the softwares from the Phidgets website). I don't know if anyone would come across this kind of problem or it's just on my machine, though.

So, the bottom line is, if you are still having problems, download this library, reboot, and if you encounter any trouble with softwares you have that use the Phidgets reader, recompile them using VB6 or similar.

In case you do not have the means to recompile them, send me the source via e-mail and I'll be happy to do it for you. Note that it would  probably work only with this version of the library, obviously.

Again, like Amal mentioned, bad move on Phidget's side though. Shame on them.

Cheers.
Pedro.

Edited by pedro - 03 March 2006 at 5:21pm
cLue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cLue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 7:10am
Would it be possible so post or send me the Source Code of the RFIDPoll.dll and MSGina.dll so i can use the Log-in with an other reader.
Here in Germany it is very hard to get an Rhidget Reader.

mail[at]felix-goetz.de would be very nice.
mfg felix
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 8:56am
I'm working with the developer of those DLL files to update the code to work with the new Phidgets library. As soon as he's done, I will post the new DLLs along with their source code.

Sorry for the delay on this. Both he and I have been caught up in our own whirlwinds of busy days and sleepless nights. I'll get on it right away.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Milhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 2:33pm
@clue

It's no problem to get the reader, I also live in Switzerland. Just order from the phidgets.com or phidgetsusa.com site ;)
cLue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cLue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 2:06am
Thanks for the support,
but i've got an reader allready and now I try to use this one,
because of the range (up to 2 meters).

It is connected to the rs232 port and is running very well,
so i would be interested to modify the login-code to use my reader

mfg felix
p.s. sorry for my bad english
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 7:13am
I don't have source at this point. I will post it all once I have the updated DLLs and source code files.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
samaljunid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samaljunid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 7:24pm
How to build up my own RFID pasif reader without buying the set? How to build the RFID pasif reader by using PIC Microchip IC?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic