RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Book Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CH4 - GINA Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CH4 - GINA Project
    Posted: 22 February 2006 at 2:50pm
Has anyone had any trouble intalling this project?
I've been through the installation steps described in the book, but when my windows session starts, I am asked for a password and nothing happens when I swipe a tag.
Any help would be appreciated.
My system config.:
WinXP Professional SP2
Phidgets Library v.2.0.0.0

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 4:52pm
Do you have v2.0.8 of the Phidgets MSI installed? The phidget.dll file should be version 2.0.8 and the phidget20.dll file should be version 1.0.6. Right click on the DLL files and click properties, then check the version tab to see the file version.

Does your phidgets reader work with RFIDTest.EXE? Is your reader detected and can you see tag reads?

Another other possibility might be that your registry settings are not correct. You need to setup this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

with a REG_SZ (string) entry named GinaDLL that points to your pollgina.dll file, like: c:\windows\pollgina.dll

You also need to setup this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PollGina

with a REG_SZ (string) entry named pollLib that points to your rfidpoll.dll file. You also have to add a REG_DWORD entry named pollTime that contains a DECIMAL value of 500 (check every half second).

Finally, you need to make sure you've used the RFIDAuth.exe file to match usernames/passwords to RFID tags, and that the tag ID you have added actually matches the RFID tag you're using. Even though it doesn't mention this in the book, you can just go to the ADD screen and hold up a tag to the reader and if the reader is working, it will put the RFID tag ID into the correct text field. I'd suggest removing your RFID tag from the list and clicking ADD and holding up your RFID tag to the reader to make sure you've got the right ID in the list.

Hope that helps,
Amal ;)

Edited by amal - 22 February 2006 at 4:54pm
pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 11:59am
First of all, thanks for the quick reply....
I have tried reinstalling the Phidgets library and rebooting several times, but for some bizzarre reason I always end up with version 1.3.5.0 for the file Phidgets.dll and I can see no version number at all for the file Phidgets20.dll.
Some software, including RFIDTest.EXE and the GINA project do not work at all, and I suspect it may be because of the outdated versions of my dll's. They will load and detect my reader, but will not do anything else (return a tag number in the case of RFIDTest.exe, for example).
My registry seems to have been modified as expected though.
Anyone has idea why this maybe happening and how I could get ahold of the new dll's?
I have tried downloading all setups available from the phidgets website (both from "releases" and "betas" versions), and still no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Pedro.

Edited by pedro - 23 February 2006 at 12:00pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 1:08pm
Hmm... I have the same Phidget.DLL version on my own PC and I just downloaded the exact RFIDTest.exe application from the download section and it works fine. I also can't get a proper version number from the Phidget20.DLL file, but I'll assume it's the same as yours.

Recently (about 4 months ago), Phidgets changed the way their RFID hardware and library worked. Their older RFID readers are physically smaller (only a little) and have small silkscreen writing on them. They reported an ID back to the phidgets library only when an RFID tag was read. This was the version I was using while writing the book, and it's shown in chapter 2 (figure 2-3 on page 13).

The new readers are physically larger, and have slightly puffier silkscreen printing on them. That's why these new readers will not fit perfectly in the project box listed in chapter 2... it will need to be shaved down a bit. These readers supply a constant stream of tag events to the library, only when no tag is present they report a tag ID of 0000000000 and if you have the new library, you won't see any tag events. If you have the old library, you'll see a ton of tag reads, all with the ID of 000000000... at least until you hold a valid tag up to the reader.

I just tested both reader types (old and new) with the RFIDTest.exe application I downloaded direct from the downloads section, and it worked as expected with both readers. Since I have the same Phidgets library version, I really don't know what's up.

- When you plug the reader in and it's detected by RFIDTest, the green onboard LED is supposed to light up. Does it? If so, it means the software is able to turn on/off the outputs on the Phidgets board, which also means it's able to turn on and off the RFID reader portion of the board, so if the green light goes on, I can safely assume the RFID reader is enabled and trying to scan for tags.

- Can you get any other Phidgets RFID software to work properly with your reader?

- Have you talked to Phidgets tech support?

Edited by amal - 23 February 2006 at 1:09pm
pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 1:56pm
Hi Amal,
Yeah, I know my reader works with other projects I have and with the examples from Phidgets, it just does not seem to work with both these projects I mentioned.
From you description, my readers seems to be one of the older models, since I don't get the series of 0s when no tags are in the vicinity.
By the way, no LEDs go on at all when I start RFIDTest.exe, although it says the reader was found and shows the correct serial number.
Anyways, I'll look more into it and let you know how I get on with it.
Thanks anyway.

Pedro.
pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 2:08pm
By the way, I just realized something weired... The Phidgets example called RFID-simple.exe indicates that my Phidget20 DLL version is 1.0.6, and my Phidgets COM Library is 2.0.8, although these numbers do not match the file ones under file->properties.
So, I'm assuming I actually have the correct library versions, but still can't figure out why none of the softwares will work.
They do work however when I run them under VB6.
:/

pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 2:25pm
Hi again...
I figured out how to make some of the software work using VB6, so I thought I'd post it here if anyone else is having problems...
I figured since both softwares I mentioned (RFIDTest.exe and RFIDAuth.exe) would not work as standalones .exe's, but worked fine when I ran them under VB6, I tried compiling them again as new .EXEs and they worked fine this time.
Now I'm guessing the authentication process still won't read my tags because the .Dlls are probably still pointing to the outdated versions of the .EXE's (i.e. not the ones i have compiled).
Is there a way of making them point to the new ones?
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 2:45pm
Hmm... odd. I wonder if the new Phidgets libraries have different resource IDs... that would be a really bad move on Phidgets' part because it would introduce this very issue... compiled software compatibility problems. But, usually if that's the case, you'd just get a reference error or ActiveX error when you tried to start the program... it would just error out, not run.

The Gina DLL files do not point to or use RFIDTest.exe or RFIDAuth.exe, those EXE files are just utilities. The Gina DLLs are compiled in C++ and point to the Phidgets library directly. In the next couple days I'm going to post the source code for those Gina DLL files in the downloads section... but until then, I think you might be stuck.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Edited by amal - 23 February 2006 at 2:47pm
Milhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 7:43am
Yes, I am having the exact same Problem. I probably have an older reader version. I know it is OK because my java software I programmed for my door access still runs, but the rfidTest and the rfidauth software doesn't work. They show the reader and serial number, but tags aren't detected and the LED doesn't light up. I installed the newest PHIDGETS.msi from phidgets.com, and have a standard windows installation and modified the registry using the.reg file.

I'd really be happy if you could figure this out, as I can imagine us two are not the only ones with this problem ;)
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 7:52pm
That is really strange... I heard of a similar problems from some other people as well. I think I'm gonna call in Phidget support on this one.

Here's an idea... take the source, compile your own version of RFID Test, and email it to me or post it up here. I'd like to try running your compiled version on my system to see if it works or not.

I posted this issue to the Phidgets forum: http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=vie wtopic&t=650

Edited by amal - 02 March 2006 at 8:15pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic