RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Book Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CH4 - GINA Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by samaljunid samaljunid wrote:

How to build up my own RFID pasif reader without buying the set? How to build the RFID pasif reader by using PIC Microchip IC?

It would take a lot of tinkering to build your own reader. It can be done, but it's outside the scope of the book, and outside of my time constraints to be able to detail it here. Basically, you have to build a resonator and read variances in the field as the passive tag pulls power from the reader field and sends back its ID to you. The data encoding method and data bit rate would all have to be taken into account and you'd have to program your PIC to adjust for data timing and decipher the data encoding method... then you could build your own reader.

Honestly though, if you don't want to buy a kit, but also don't want to go through the hassle of building it from scratch, you can easily just buy an RFID reader IC like the one used on the Phidgets USA reader board... it's an EM4907 and it does pretty much everything you need... it generates the resonant field (you supply tuned antenna), decodes the RFID tag ID, etc. It's a fairly cheap IC, so if you just don't want to buy the kit because of the cost, building your own reader using this IC is far more economical than using a PIC and all the extra parts required to build it from scratch.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
zak123321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zak123321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:46pm

If I purchase a new RFID reader from Phidgets am I going to have any odd things happen if I use the old Phidgets.msi library and the recompiled RFIDgina drivers as well as the RFIDpass v2.0 for old library?  Will I have any problems or odd scans?

Please help!

Zak

Edited by zak123321 - 21 August 2006 at 8:47pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:51pm
It seems the only problem you might experience is that the system simply doesn't register any tag reads at all. The best way is to just download and check. I'm trying to get the author of modified pGina DLL files for RFIDGina to recompile with the new drivers and give me the source so I can post it.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:37pm
Yes, its true, I needed much prodding - mostly as a result of a major influx of "TODO" items.  However, I've finally gotten around to a rebuild of the code with the latest Phidgets library and have sent the resulting dll's and source to Amal (hey Amal, check your email! ).  You may all now resume prodding him until such time as he gets it posted!

Let me know if there are questions (I'm sure there will be), or desire to donate to the GINA/ICredentialProvider cause (please?) - nate@pgina.org

Incidentally, I am working on an ICredentialProvider which may prove a useful base for an RFID enabled login to Vista/Longhorn (where the GINA has been deprecated).  Problem is, I can only do so much without a 'proper' MSDN Professional membership - so if anyone wants to donate one, or the $ to get one, I and the GINA/ICredProv/RFID community would be much obliged
timboe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timboe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 6:42am
Excellent news . I will look forward to it being posted, let the bugging of Amal commence!
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:11pm
Ok... it's up! it's up! Check out the downloads section for the updated rfidPoll DLL file! It also comes with the

I'm moving next month, so things have been crazy... sometime mid-october i'll go through and recompile new versions of the other Phidgets-based downloads so they work with the new library version for those of you without access to VB 6.

Thanks everyone for your patience!
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
dchallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:45pm

I have just downloaded the Windows GINA replacement.  Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.  When I try to login using the RFID reader, the card is read and then I get an Error dialog for WINLOGON.EXE as soon as I press OK the system reboots.

Fortunately if I enter my credentials from the keyboard it works OK, so I can get in and remove the registry entries, though Winlogon still errors out it is no longer critical and the desktop loads OK.

I am running Windows XP Professional with all the latest service pack and hotfixes.  Trying to login using a domain account.  It so happens that I am currently getting the "You must change your password in 5 days" dialog.  Maybe your replacement GINA doesn't account for this particular situation?

Thanks, Dan

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:49pm

Hi Dan,

You may be correct that the GINA project does not properly account for the "change password" dialog. By chance do you have any other security products loaded like the U.are.U fingerprint scanner or something similar? These types of products that modify the GINA login process will most certainly cause problems with the GINA project.

Lastly, I know this is probably not the case, but you don't happen to be running Windows XP Pro 64 bit edition? The GINA project is 32 bit only.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
dchallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:55pm

To answer your questions

- Regular 32 bit windows

- No other GINA replacements loaded

My guess is the change password dialog - so let me get rid of that and see if it fixes the problem, I'll report back later.

Thanks for the exceptionally quick reply.

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:58pm

ok cool, thanks for clearing those points up. eagerly awaiting confirmation of change password dialog test ;)

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic