RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > RFID Implantation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hello and a question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastian D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello and a question
    Posted: 21 August 2008 at 1:55am

Hello! Im new to the forum, though Ive been causally surfing the site since april or so. recently I had this idea for an implant Id really like to try, but Ive encountered several obstacles!

basicly, I just learnt that the passkeys on my university are RFID based. to be able to skip the passcard altogether and just "magically" wave my hand in front of the lock would be pure awesome as well... so, is it possible to simply clone my passkey onto a blank chip? or do I need to send the code or what-not to a manufacturer? thats my first problem.

my second problem is that here in sweden, all RFID suppliers I have called are unwilling to sell to a private citizen unless they're buying in bulk, which means I have to purchase over the net. any tips on that?

here's to hoping someone got answers, CHeers!

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 10:02am
Hi there,

1) My bet is that your university is using a 13.56MHz HF tag of some kind, and glass tags are usually 125KHz LF tags. The first step for you will be to find out what kind of RFID tags are being used at the university.

2) If the suppliers will only sell to you in bulk, that means they want to work with OEM manufacturers or large scale customers. Re-approach these suppliers, or it might be better to get your friend to approach them. Ask them for some samples, only 2 or 3 tags. Usually bulk suppliers will give you free samples if you say you are prototyping a product or testing a solution. They will be asking you about your project and how many tags you might need to order over the next 12-48 months. It's a hassle, and I hate lying, but sometimes it's the only practical way to get your hands on a tag.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Sebastian D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastian D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 12:16pm

seems like a sound course of action! is there a way to "test" the passcard? I asked about the card when I received it, but the office issuing them didnt seem to know what RFID was... so HF or LF will probably be above his head!

though, I saw in another post that you can turn a chip from "regular" into one suitable for implantation? how would one go about doing that? (seems like something of a massive shortcut to simply find the chip inside the card, convert it, have it put it!)

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 2:00pm
Are there any markings on the card at all? You can also ask about the name of the commercial system in place, as they will likely know that over the details of the RFID cards themselves. Once you know the name of the system, you can do a little research to try and figure out what type of card it is.

What post did you see that "regular" to "implantation" post? I know of only one guy who was considering something like that, but I would never suggest it. I feel using any home made encapsulant solution to separate the tag from your body would be putting your health at risk.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Sebastian D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastian D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 6:43am

I couldnt find the post about "conversion" again actually.

though after various emails, the manufacturer of the cards have informed me they are using 125khz, which I assume is a good thing! what would be the next step then? would it be possible to simply buy an implant-ready chip and write the passcard info on it, or is it trickier than that?

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 2:40pm
Well, it's a bit more tricky than that. You generally can't write ID data to tags. Most tags have a read-only ID number, then some additional read/write memory blocks. The other issue is that you have a limited number of glass tags you can use for DIY implantation. The main ones are EM4102 which is read only and has no write capacity, and the Philipts HITAG which does have read/write memory capacity but is generally not used for access control solutions because read/write memory blocks are not necessary for the application. The two tags also use different air interfaces, so the reader must support reading both kinds. Generally, access control readers only support one kind of tag in order to keep the solution cheap.

Your best bet would be to buy an LF reader and see if you can determine the type of chipset being used in the tag you have. You can get a cheap phidgets reader here, and try to read your card. For the most part, usually 125KHz access control solutions are built around the HID LF cards, which really sucks because there are no glass tags using the HID chipset and their solution is basically "locked down" anyway... it's hard enough to get two separate HID installations to use the same keycard.

Ok, tangent - I hate HID. There, I said it. Their cards and readers and software are set up in such a way that you can't use one HID card from one place at another place. Case in point, I have an HID card for a data center in Seattle, and I have another HID card for a data center in Bellingham (about 60 miles north). I also have an HID keychain tag I use to access a UPS Store mailbox storefront after hours. So in total I have 3 tags... 2 sitting there bulking up my wallet, and one dangling on my keychain. I wanted to just consolidate and make one single access card work in all 3 places, but the HID system doesn't work that way. Each card has what amounts to a "site" code, so even if you ask the person to input your tag ID number as an authorized access card, the site code in the software cannot be changed, so the card won't work. Why the hell should I have to carry 3 different tags?! f**king stupid. - Ok, tangent over.

So, anyway, like I was saying... if you are lucky enough to have an access control system that uses EM4102 tags, then you can get yourself one of these extra small glass tags and it should work... provided (and this is a big "provided") you can make friends with whoever runs the access control system and get them to insert your glass tag ID as a valid access tag under your name/account. That has proven to be one of the biggest issues I've faced when trying to get my HID cards consolidated. I worked for weeks trying to explain what I was trying to do and what it would take. Part of it takes educating the person in charge and trying to allay their fears, and part of it is trying to muddle through the red tape that will come up as soon as someone of "authority" finds out what you're trying to do and why.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic