RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Parts and info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weiser Lock Powerbolt 1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spismund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weiser Lock Powerbolt 1000
    Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:24am
I am about to order the parts for the stand-alone RFID
enabled front door access. However I saw somewhere in
this forum, that some of you have had issues regarding
the Weiser Lock Powerbolt 1000? I think it was lacking
OPEN and CLOSE switch contacts on the controle circuit
board?
I can't afford throwing $200 after a deadbolt which I
can't use, so can you please tell me which model is
working for sure?
Is there also a place where I can order it from here in
Europe?

thank you in advance
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 7:16pm
Yeah, I have seen a model that does not have the open/close buttons. The box says it's the same model, Kwikset PowerBolt 1000 / Weiser Lock Powerbolt 1000 (same thing)... but the open/close contact pads are missing. You might ask the storefront to take the battery cover off and see if there is anything printed on the circuit board that says "open" (maybe send a picture/scan from the book). They might be willing to check for you.

If someone is willing to ship me a powerbolt of this type, I'll take a crack at hacking it. But, the easiest way would probably be to momentarily switch a relay on to directly power the motor and retract the deadbolt using the powerbolt's own battery bank.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
spismund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spismund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:24pm
Thank you Amal

I've taken a shot and ordered one from the amazon market place (it really is a PAIN to get suppliers overseas to ship to Europe)

If it is the bad version then I hopefully will get some help to get it to work anyway.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:13pm

cool. if it turns out you have "the bad model" without the open pads, then the only difference would be some code changes to the STAMP to better time the reed relay, maybe add some diodes, and make some wiring changes to power the powerbolt's bolt motor directly from the powerbolt's battery box.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
spismund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spismund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 5:17am
Got my Powerbolt 1000 today. It does not have the OPEN and CLOSE contacts.
How shall I wire it now? Do you need some pictures of the circuitboard?
spismund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spismund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 7:30am
Can anyone please post some pictures of the front & back of the circuit board with the OPEN and CLOSE contacts? Is there a way to trace them? I need to know if the OPEN & CLOSE contacts perhaps still are in the design.

I also found this forum ( http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/2/1004310622/ShowThrea d.aspx), where "ziffster" talks about the very same issue. He talkes about using the direction jumper? Is this a good solution?

Edited by spismund - 12 April 2009 at 7:32am
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 11:43pm
That actually looks like a very intelligent method to use. You'd have to wire up a SPDT (or a more common DPDT) relay to the direction pins and another reed relay to the lock pin. Then update the code to flip the direction relay, wait a few milliseconds, hit the lock pin relay for a few milliseconds, then drop the direction pins back to the original configuration.

I really must give proper credit; here is a section from the original post from the other forum:

Originally posted by ziffster ziffster wrote:

The original Powerbolt came in a version with open and close pushbuttons for the indoor side. The version with buttons was later eliminated, but the pads on the circuit board for them remained. I just bought one (October 2007), and the circuit board has been changed. The OPEN and CLOSE pads are gone. Fortunately, I found another way to lock/unlock the lock that should have occured to me before doing some reverse engineering of the lock.

Locking is easy, just short the two pins together that go to the 'Lock' button on the keypad. Unlocking, it seems, would require entering the code using the same technique, but there is an easier way. 

The lock is designed to go in the right or left side of a door, depending on which way the door opens. There is a Direction jumper to reverse the direction of the motor for locking and unlocking. If the lock is installed on the left side, clockwise unlocks and counterclockwise unlocks. If the lock is installed on the right, the directions are reversed. The 'Direction' jumper on the circuit board reverses these.

Luckily, the lock's CPU samples the direction jumper when the code is entered or when the lock button is pushed. The middle pin of the jumper is the input to the CPU, the "A" direction pin is a no connect (float high), and the "B" pin is ground. So to unlock, just reverse the direction by switching the logic of the direction jumper, and then 'press' the lock button by shorting the two pins for the 'Lock' button. I haven't built a circuit yet, but obviously there should be a short delay between changing directions and initiating a lock.

A Note about reverse-engineering the lock: I was hoping that even though the circuit board was redesigned, the OPEN/CLOSE signals were still in the design. There are pads for a 14-pin header on the circuit board, and I tried shorting each to ground (through a resistor to be safe). Two produced a beep and light flash, but none would lock or unlock. The LED, however, started flashing indicating low battery. I think one of the pins is for factory programming the low-battery sense voltage. I'll have to see if I can fix it. If someone could tell me what the low-battery voltage should be by testing another lock, I'd appreciate it.

David A.

Oops, nevermind on the battery low-voltage sense factory-programming thing. I had one of the batteries in backwards.

David A.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
mikey11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:42am
I implemented the new powerbolt 1000 weiser with the phidgets usb rfid board successfully. I only had to add a single transistor and two resistors.

Using the two outputs from the phidgets board, the door direction jumper, and the lock button contacts (I had to disable the outside number panel), it can easily be done.

I used a resistor plus transistor to trigger the lock button, and tied a resistor to ground to provide the logic for the door direction jumper.

Check it out, www.mikethemike.wordpress.com

I did not use Amal's code because it was not easily updated to the version of vb express I am using(2008), and phidgets also has a new library with some fancy functions. I used the new phidgets (2.1 I think).

I've been rewriting the sample program for vbexpress provided by phidgets called rfid-simple to act as access control.

I've successfully implemented a keylist textfile which is read, and then any key swiped will be compared to the contents of the file.

I'm planning on adding quite a bit more to the keylist file to enable more interesting functions, like only allowing my family members access to my house between 10am and 10pm, taking webcam shots on entry, providing other functions for people who don't need to enter the house, having a key chained near the reader for random people who want to enter when I'm not there to be granted access via cellphone after having the webcam shot sent to my phone.... It can be a whole lot more than your average door.

Edited by mikey11 - 07 July 2009 at 9:19am
leomartin6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leomartin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:25am
I found a lot of useful stuff from this particular place.
dozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 11:38am
please i also have the same problem mentioned here, i have already bought the kwikset powerbolt 1000 and it does not have the open and close switches. I am from nigeria and there is no way i can start to order a new one, is there anyone who has solved this problem please i will like to now how.
i will appreciate if it can be very detailed (i.e step by step like how it was written by the author of RFID toys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic