RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Parts and info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weiser Lock Powerbolt 1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:45am
Forum,

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this setup do the same thing as the "car door unlock" system? (i.e. electrically push a button by soldiering to the points on the button). In this case could you use this same setup, but replace the Powerlock with a simple electric door latch?

I apologize for my ignorance, I am new to this...

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 10:58am
Yep, you could. However, there are two reasons people don't do electronic door latches (electronic strikes) in their homes. 1) Most people don't want to put electronic strikes in their home door frames, and 2) most people don't trust their "home grade" door knobs, that's why they upgrade their door security to deadbolts, which electronic strikes don't work with (they only work with spring loaded latches).
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
kmacvittie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:01am
Amal,

Thank you for the quick response. I feel like the strength of a "home grade" door knob falls under the same rule as on the previous page "if they want to get in, they will". Is there a severe difference between the electric strike and the deadbolt? 

thanks
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:07am
It's not the strike that is the security differential, it's the strength and vulnerability of the spring-loaded latch itself. While I agree "if they want to get in, they will", however it is a far easier task to overcome a spring-loaded latch than it is a deadbolt. Also, most people already have doors with deadbolts in, and installation of this system is far easier than routing out a giant hole for and wiring up an electric strike. Just remove the existing deadbolt and install this one. Easy.

There are also those who rent, and cannot cut into their door frames. This project is perfect for those kinds of situations because it does not alter door or frame.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:10am
thank you very much!! I did not mean to attack your project, I was just comparing the cost difference between the electric strike and the electric deadbolt. thanks again!!

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:15am
No problem. Didn't feel attacked, just wanted to make it clear why the project was built the way it was. I myself had an electronic strike installed at my office. Works really well. For my home though, I couldn't find a decent door latch that was as secure as a deadbolt but didn't look like an ugly commercial door latch, so I went with an updated version of the deadbolt project (found in the RedBee kit).
Amal ;)

www.amal.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:19am
aaaand that was my next question!! thanks again haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:24am
new question. If i wanted the ability to be able to just push my door open after scanning my hand, then i could use both a deadbolt and a strike right? that way i'd have the security of the deadbolt with the convenience of the strike?

thanks again
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:27am
exactly. if memory serves, the book project shows exactly that; using both the deadbolt and a strike at the same time... but i also recall that confused a ton of people and i got a ton of people commenting that the strike was redundant, not realizing that the strike was meant for the door latch (even though it's spelled out in the book).
Amal ;)

www.amal.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacvittie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 11:28am
good thing i got the book then!! haha i just havent read it in a while i guess, i forgot that detail... thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic