RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > RFID Implantation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parallax RFID reader and linux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 9:27pm
Ok, so, got both my microchips in today, so the experimenting has started. One of the chips is a Phillips Hitag 2 2048 from http://www.sleepallday.org/. I had it programmed to work like a standard glass ampoule from trossen robotics. I loaded up my terminal and ran the Hitag over my parallax reader, and out came my unique code. SUCCESS! Keep in mind that the hitag is programmed a special way to emulate the EM4102 tags. So i am reading up on C++ programming (since i know none, im teaching myself) and plan to write my own keyboard wedge emulation program to use with the parallax line of readers under ubuntu. If anyone has any questions at all, id be more than happy to help out. And if anyone can help me out, shoot me a pm. 
wolfdog1987 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 1:12am
Btw, anyone looking to get this working on windows: Im sure theres plenty of stuff out there on how to make this work, but i got this working in like one minute as a keyboard wedge program. You cant use it to log you in, but it works for things like yahoo logins. Just has no form of pause in between reads.

Edited by wolfdog1987 - 18 September 2009 at 3:46am
B... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 8:06pm
Wolfdog,
Thanks for the link to the wedge program! For some reason I
just thought it was the way the reader had to be
made/programmed to work. I'm going to give it a try and
see what I can make out of it, even if it can't do login,
it will be cool to set as a password or login as you said.
B
B.
ArmArcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmArcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 8:49am
the last comment was make during 2009. So aint sure if the TS is still doing this idea, i am also interested in finding out more about RFID with linux and i was wondering if there's any recommend keyboard wedge that is available to use?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 1:18am
I haven't seen any I can really recommend, but any reader that can emulate a keyboard without any drivers should work. I think the red bee can do this and was designed specifically for the glass ampoules that are popular for implantation. The pcprox one would do fine for any flat antenna tag, not sure on the glass tags though.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 9:15am
The PCProx reader doesn't work well with 2x12mm glass tags. It does barely work with 3x13mm tags though;  http://blog.amal.net/?p=272
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 9:58pm
Ah damn. So there's one thing I could try to work on, a moderately low cost hardware keyboard wedge solution. That would come in handy for me quite often so I'll make that a goal. I guess have a parallax reader or a red bee spit the numbers out to a micro controller and have that do the keyboard emulation? I seriously need to learn some linux programming...
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 10:20pm
I tested a cheap USB wedge reader and it seemed to work alright with both 2x12 and 3x13 tags;  http://blog.amal.net/?p=3339

-- let me rephrase that -- it worked alright for an un-implanted 2x12mm tag. I commented in the post about not being able to read a 2x12mm that was implanted, but the test subject had a 2x12mm implant that was implanted very deep into the tissue and nowhere near the surface of the skin, so results may vary.

Edited by amal - 12 June 2012 at 10:22pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 10:33pm
Apparently the new arduino (possibly older ones too) are able to function in keyboard mode. So i was thinking, write up a program to throw on it, make my own keyboard wedge. Depending how my other question gets answered, it could have decent range too. We shall see. To be honest, programming is very intimidating to me, so that's why i havent really learned it yet. That and i may be lazy.
bash_guy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bash_guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:36pm
Hey if anyone's looking to read a single tag's value, here's what made it work for me using bash and the parallax rfid samplers (which are 10 bytes).

#!/bin/bash
#first set terminal settings for /dev/ttyUSB0
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 cs8 -ixon raw speed 2400 

#then use od to read /dev/ttyUSB0 into the variable RFID (read the manpage to see what all the switches do)
RFID=$(od -A n -c -j 1 -N 10 /dev/ttyUSB0 | sed 's/   //g')

#finally print the value of the variable RFID
echo "Your rfid tag's value is $RFID"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic