RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Reader Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motorcycle keyless ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorcycle keyless ignition
    Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:50am
yep, i'm emulating the entire ignition switch with this setup. if you only need to short two wires, you can yank relays as you see fit.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
nickbales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickbales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by amal amal wrote:

Hey there... ok so I lied/forgot a little ;) You need a DPDT switch, not a SPST switch, and you also need 3 automotive relays and one DPDT relay instead of 4 automotive relays. At first glance it looks like you could easily replace the DPDT relay with a SPST relay, however it really needs to be a DPDT relay so the RFID reader does not end up powering the automotive relays upon an authorized tag read. Below is a wiring diagram I whipped up that details how you should hook things up (PDF):

Ok, so the idea here is that the DPDT switch will push power to RFID reader as well as complete a "self powering relay" loop with the DPDT relay. Once a valid tag is passed over the reader antenna, a short pulse will power the DPDT relay coil, closing both sets of COM (common) to NO (normally open) contacts. Both COM pins are tied to the fused +12v coming from the battery. That means when the relay powers up and both contacts are made inside the relay, the relay will power itself through the DPDT switch, as well as power up the automotive relays. When the RFID reader stops sending power, the DPDT relay (and automotive relays) stay powered up because the relay's switched pins are now providing the power from connection to the fused +12v battery. The reason you run this connection through the DPDT switch is so you can flip the switch off to disconnect power from the whole setup, which will power off all the relays and the RFID reader.

Make sense?

So, once you have the above diagram all worked out, connect the key switch extension wires (with resistor if required) to the automotive relay switched terminals (87 & 30) and you should be set.

Sorry for such an old post bump...
Just to make sure I'm not crazy... why three relays, I was figuring it was for a specific bike and each relay power one thing. I could remove 2 if I only need to connect one set of wires...
commebpoten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commebpoten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 11:27pm
Energy performance certificate (epc) for sale / rent
The energy expert delivers it at the lowest rates. Energy Performance Certificate now obliged by selling and renting property. Fast and expert handling. Energy Expert recognized by VEA (Flemish Energy Agency).<a href="http://www.epc.be/">epc.be/a>
http://www.epc.be - epc.be</a>
bajacondor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajacondor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 3:37pm
Hello Everyone What a cool forum and topic. I plan to get started with this as soon as my reader comes from ebay. I've go a couple total noob questions that I couldn't answer after reading this thread:

What spec diodes should I be using?
What gauge wire is best for this project?

Does anyone have a picture of the completed wiring and final project. It would be very helpful to get an idea of what those diagrams should look like 'IRL'

Thank you,
David
DEcosse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEcosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 12:37am
Originally posted by tommy40687 tommy40687 wrote:

The units no longer seem to be sold on eBay....
Sure  they are - same seller that has been selling for years 

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 10:09am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
tommy40687 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy40687 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 9:19am
The units no longer seem to be sold on eBay. Does anyone have an alternative source?
Gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 7:07am
shaunmayfield, Glad to hear that you got it working. I finally got my relay assembly wired up and bench tested it. It works great. One pass with the tags arms the circuit, another pass diss arms the circuit.   That way I do not have to utilize an additional switch to unlatch the relays.

I am using this ignition setup on my '88 Kawaski Tecate-4 (quad) that I have installed a '05 ZX-6R motor into.  The quad ignition wouldn't work with the bike motor, and the bike ignition would prove to be odd to mount anywhere, due to the fact that it mounted in on the bottom side of the triple tree.  This proved to be the perfect setup for my project.  Everything will be mounted out of the way, and the only part remotely visible will be the remote sensor.

Gunner

Edited by Gunner - 29 November 2012 at 7:56am
shaunmayfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunmayfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 6:33am
Thanks @Gunner. I finally got it working. I feel I have been trying the same thing over and over and then all of a sudden I got it to work. I was using a regular auto relay and also trying it with a PC sold-state relay. I finally got it to work on the PC relay and got the latch working and all seems good. Been bench testing it dozens of times without fail.

Thanks.
Gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 7:28pm
Using a multi meter, check the amperage output of the RFID unit. Compare that to the trigger requirement of your relays. If it is not putting out enough amps, look on digikey and find one with an appropriate trigger range. You could use the new relay by itself, or use it to trigger one of the relays you have(if it will not carry the current required).

Gunner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic