RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Reader Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reading Data on Tags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading Data on Tags
    Posted: 12 May 2006 at 10:06am

Hi - I'm trying to reduce the cost of RFID tags that are used in an access control system I use. I am told the current tags are Hitag2 which I buy from the manufacturer of the access control system. I have obtained samples of a much cheaper Hitag2 tag but cannot enrol these on the system - there is no reaction when offered up to the reader. I also have a reader/encoder from the same manufacturer but for a different type of system which does allow me to read a 9 digit number off both the original and new tags. I assume there is more data on the tags which is not being read. Is there a way of reading all the data off the tags in order I can compare them and hopefully encode the new ones to work with the existing system?

By the way - great site!

Edited by phil - 12 May 2006 at 10:08am
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 10:15am
The HITAG2 chips support 16 bytes of data storage, which could contain a system ID or some kind of additional data which is relevant to your security system. To get at this memory space, you will have to read more than the tags ID number... you will have to ask for the contents of the memory blocks.

Chances are that your security system manufacturer is using this data storage area to write a sort of "system ID" to the data area, making it a kind of very weak two-point authentication system, where both the tag ID and the data stored in the memory space must match.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:05am

Thanks Amal, thought it may have been something along those lines. Looks like I have a bit more research to do. Have ordered your book, so maybe that's a good start.

I guess the contents of the memory blocks will most likely be protected - do you think it's worth my while trying to persue this - I only have a reasonable level of techie ability, though can be quite determined?

With a yellow growth like that, why do you need an id tag? :)

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:51am
Well, since the tag you have isn't a HITAG S chip (s = secure), most likely the memory blocks are wide open for reading and writing. Since I'm not sure what reader you have, you may need to get yourself a different reader... one that supports reading and writing to the actual memory blocks.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
rfbase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2006 at 6:31am
The access control system should also have a control box, that stores the UIDs of all tags "allowed" by the system. It sounds like that is what is being interface during the "enroll" procedure.

If the access control system you use is not protecting anything that is truly valuable, I would continue with your current set up. But if true security is needed, HF has much better security options.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic