RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > RedBee Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RedBee RFID Reader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MobileMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:47am
I'm interested in the wireless deadbolt project and looking for some input.  I haven't purchased the kit yet, but I plan too.  What got my attention was the statement that it had a clean look with no wires behind the door.  The only thing that has been holding me back from this project is making it look clean.  I read the RFID deadbolt chapter in RFID Toys and really liked the idea, but it didn't look very appealing.

I word for a security company that sells high end access control systems.  I really like them, but there is no way I can afford those prices. 

It would be great to get see some pics and maybe a general opinion of the result.  Also, does the project require the wireless modules?

Thanks
patterso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patterso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:51am
I can only speak for the units that I've been using, but can tell you the following:
-They are low-cost, I cannot remember the exact details, but want to say that they are $28 ea
-The are standalone
-From inside, you can open the know and press a button go enroll an administrative tag
-that administrative tag can then be used to authorize enrolling of new tags
-They are standalone, no wires at all.  no central database, no network connections, etc. 
-It's possible to plug in a USB cable, and pull access logs, but i've never bothered...

MobileMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MobileMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:26pm
Thanks for the quick response.  The one thing that I would like to have is network connectivity, at least wireless to a PC so I can send commands to the unit.  I was under the impression that could be done with XBee and RedBee. 

My goal is the deadbolt project.  I'm having a difficult time visualizing how this project would come together without a messy looking door.  I sold my wife on the project, but her condition is that I have to make it look good. 

I like the administrative tag concept.  Keeping the database on the unit is what I was looking for. 

What units have you been using that cost $28?  The cheapest RedBee readers that I've seen start at $67. 

Thanks

patterso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patterso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:36pm
My units are not networked, thus the cost is lower but taking away the functionality you are seeking...
MobileMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MobileMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 7:41am
Networking is not a requirement, but the option would be nice.  I would like to know where you got your RedBee for $28?
wolfdog1987 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfdog1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:50pm
If you can find a V1.0 redbee, they are 39.99. I think trossenrobotics sells them, and i've seen them on amazon. There is a difference though, so read the fine print and make sure you can handle it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic