RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > RedBee Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RedBee RFID Reader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:06pm
There is no official way to add an external antenna to the RedBee reader, but if you wanted to cut the circuit board trace and take a stab at adding your own, it could work. Most likely though you'd end up with a busted reader. The antenna on the board was specifically engineered for maximum range.

The only antenna type that is actually suited to a cylindrical glass tag is a cylindrical antenna. The only reader I've seen with an antenna like that is sold on eBay by a seller who scooped up a bunch of these units which are no longer in production. He sells bunches of them from time to time, and they are easy to spot. A black rectangular casing with a separate cylidrical coil antenna. I have several of these and they work great with my 3x13 tag. Cheap too.

I'll look into the magnets again, but I really would rather wait until someone figured out a way to encase them in titanium without too much heat damage to the magnet... like "flash pasturizing" them. Like we've all seen in breast implants gone bad, silicon is limited in it's lifespan. As for interference, I don't forsee any problems :)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
FourQ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FourQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:09pm
@Mitch,
I've had a bunch of Neodymium magnets in my palm by accident, and subsequently intentionally after I discovered that the magnet must be closer than 2cm to kill the tag.  It's not something I make a habit of doing but I've got away with it nicely.
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:31pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/RFID-Reader-transponder-key-fob-security-/250637978262?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b300a96
Is this it Amal? If so, do you think it would read a 2x12mm implanted tag if the antannea was directly behing my front windshield? Or would I need a 3x13mm one? Also, would this work for my car unlock project using a spare keyfob? If yes, I think I found my solution.
Sorry for so many questions. I'm definetely a novice when it comes to this stuff.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 6:50pm
Yes, that is the reader. This reader has no problem reading 3x13 tags and it usually does well with 2x12 tags too. I have this reader in my car and the antenna is attached to the inside of my windshield. I can unlock my car with my 3x13 tag and my wife can unlock it with her 2x12. I think the reader supports storing up to 40 or so different EM4102 tag IDs. The form-factor (glass tag, keyfob, key card, etc.) doesn't matter.

No worries on the questions, that's what this forum is for!

Edited by amal - 21 July 2010 at 6:51pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
eldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:07pm
@Mitch -

Hi Mitch -

I have a magnet from Steve Haworth implanted in the same place as you.

I have tags implanted in both hands and the magnet doesn't cause any problems for me.
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:15pm
Fantastic! Just ordered one. Do you have this hooked up to a spare remote like in chapter 3?
I'M SO EXCITED!Clap
Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:16pm

Glad to hear eldon. Thanks for the reply!

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:16pm
Yep. The remote for my VW GTI was the best way to go since the locks and alarm are both part of the same system, and hacking them wouldn't be a very worth while use of time.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
eldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 6:39pm
So I was just wondering, is the Windows 7 login code available separately from the kit or is that the only way to get it?

-Eldon
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 6:47am
Hi Eldon,

The deal I have with Trossen Robotics is that the software and source code is to remain exclusive to the kit. The reason for this is that the work I did with RoboticsConnection on the RedBee reader itself was free consulting. I then put a ton of work into coming up with project write-ups and source code for the RedBee kit, with the only compensation being a small kickback on every kit sold. If the source code/software were available for free I think that would seriously undermine my potential pay-back :) Hope you understand.

Edited by amal - 26 July 2010 at 6:48am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic