RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > RedBee Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RedBee RFID Reader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:33am
It's a standard 2.54mm IDC header, just get something like this;  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-IDC-FC-14-Connector-14-PIN-Female-Header-2-54-mm-/280608964741

I created a couple ribbon cables for this purpose and quickly discovered that the arrangement of pins was never really thought out in terms of use with a ribbon cable. It becomes kinda messy at the other end, unless you create a break-out board or something.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
soundman98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2012 at 11:12pm
well, i searched and this is the closest topic..

i am interested in adding rfid to lock and unlock my car, the difficulty is locking, and unlocking with only one card. 

it would be quite easy with 2 different cards, though issues with 2 cards being in constant close proximity and murphies-law, which means i would probably loose the unlock card, make it unreliable.

from amal's post, i believe it is possible to program the redbee so that presenting the card once would turn a output one direction, and presenting a card twice could switch it(present 1= lock, present 2=unlock).  is this correct, and if so, is there any documentation on the process of programming it this way?

thanks.
FourQ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FourQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 4:43am
Personally I'd stick with the easiest option.  Too man projects develop faults by overcomplicating them. 

Is it not easier to have it lock every x seconds that the tag isn't in range?  That way the tag will only unlock while the system will lock automatically.  If the reader is on the windscreen then it should be easy to create a plastic pocket in which the tag can sit thus keeping the car unlocked.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:45pm
Hi soundman98, unfortunately that is not correct. The RedBee cannot be made to toggle outputs. However, you could use a flip-flop IC to toggle for you.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
soundman98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:53pm
thanks! that is exactly what i was looking for!     i originally searched for 'car'(i figured that was generic enough--maybe it was too generic?), and only three threads came up, that wasn't one of them..
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 6:44pm
Yeah, the forum search sucks. I use google's site search feature to search my own stuff all the time.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
patterso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patterso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 11:11am
is there a way to add a ctrl-alt-delete sequence to the LEAD statement in the rfidcredsettings file?  In windows7 I need to do that before it'll let the login work...

?

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 11:26am
There is no way to do that, but if you have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL, then you are likely using Windows "Secure Logon" mode, and part of that security is having to press CTRL-ALT-DEL. It's a throwback protection technique for old threats, but those threats are still valid concerns today, so there is no way around needing someone at a keyboard to press CTRL-ALT-DEL before logging in.

Now, if you wanted to switch off Secure Logon mode and move to the multi-user tile login approach, you should be able to log in with RFID and not need to touch the keyboard beforehand.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
patterso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patterso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 11:28am
thanks Mr. Amal.

Since I've got you on the line, i've been trying to get an HID compatible implant without any success; have you ever researched that one?
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 12:00pm
Yep, that's going to be a no-go... HID has a proprietary air interface because they realized during the design phase that they would make far more money selling $0.05 RFID tags for $45 each than they would selling the entire rest of the access control system (reader, software, etc.) - meaning you will not find an HID compatible IC in a glass implantable form-factor.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic