RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > RFID Implantation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RFID tag of choice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolvaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFID tag of choice?
    Posted: 23 July 2011 at 12:38pm
The information on this forum is a bit scattered and possibly out of date given new tags and readers available. I was curious to know what tags and implantation methods you would choose if you had to start over at this point in time?

Is there significant range on the 13x3 over the 12x2 when using a redbee?

How about the generic tag vs a Hitag in read only?

If I were to install an RFID reader on to something (ie: door, ignition, ect.) would it be easy to uninstall it without leaving too much of a trace, or even just reprogram the reader with a different tag key?

Thanks in advance for your time.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 7:21pm
I will answer your questions in this way; Getting an EM41xx, 3x13mm tag is probably the best type of tag for a new hobbyist to get. The reason being, it will get the best range and work with the widest array of each and easy to obtain OEM and commercial readers available. A body piercer will have to take the same steps to implant a 3x13 as they would a 2x12 because they do not typically use the injector kits used for animal implantation, they prefer to use the tools they know... the punch and solid core piercing needle.

To answer your question, you will get slightly better range using a 3x13 instead of a 2x12 with the RedBee, but with other readers you will simply not be able to read a 2x12mm tag.

While it is possible to get a 134KHz Philips HITAG and program it to emulate an EM41xx tag, it requires a more expensive reader to program the HITAG. Range will also be an issue because the HITAG typically comes in the 2x12mm form factor, and the tag is tuned for 134KHz not 125KHz. It will still work with many EM41xx 125KHz readers, but smaller products with weaker RFID designs will likely not be able to read it at all.

There are also 13.56Mhz HF tags available, however there are some issues. First, like the other EM4102 and HITAGs out there, these are NOT meant for implantation. The reason I mention this specifically for these HF tags is that the glass is clearly a different color and MUST be researched heavily before even considering implanting one. Second, the 13.56MHz spectrum does not do well with liquid interference, meaning they perform very poorly as an implant. Third, they are designed to be used with specific antennas attached to HF readers that are simply not available in most commercial or even OEM HF readers, meaning you will likely not get any read at all with most HF readers available in the hobbyist's price range.

As for installing an RFID reader and being able to remove it later, that's all up to how you do the install. I recently removed all my RFID gear from my motorcycle so I could sell it (most people don't like/trust extra wiring).
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic